Pages

Sunday 29 July 2012

Rich prose poetic language not to my liking....


Maybe it is just that this book it's style, it's prose did not translate well for me here in the UK but I cannot understand the fascination with something I do not understand. It's a coming of age novel but the language is too rich and poetic for my liking " They ran in urine smell of shadow, they ran in clean ice smell of moon. The calliope steam-throb whispered, tatted, trilled."...."in flight, in heat-spell river of wind and blaze of metal, in jog of July and August horses whose hoofs thudded the air like thrown fruit, his eyes blazed"

I thought Boy's Life by Robert McCammon truly inspiringly brilliant (in fact I find anything by McCammon brilliant) but Something Wicked This Way Comes for me had few redeeming features the richness of language made a truly boring experience and I struggled to finish...I admire those of you who found inspiration from Bradbury's words but sadly not me :((

No comments:

Post a Comment